1½ slices multigrain or whole wheat bread (for bread crumbs) or ¾ cup bread crumbs, I used Milton’s Multi-Grain bread
¼ cup fat-free milk
¼ cup fat-free feta cheese, crumbled, see shopping tip
½ cup scallions, minced
½ teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 egg, lightly beaten, I like using Egg-Land’s Best eggs
1 pound 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (24 oz) jar pasta sauce, I like using Prego’s Traditional Pasta, Prego’s Roasted Garlic & Herb or use your favorite
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup whole wheat couscous, see shopping tip
1 cup water
6 tablespoons fat-free feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
2. To make bread crumbs: Toast 1½ slices bread. Keep the crust on, add to blender or food processor and pulse into crumbs. Or, use ¾ cup store bought bread crumbs.
3. In a large bowl, add bread crumbs, milk, feta cheese, scallions, salt, oregano and egg. Mix well. Stir in ground turkey and mix well. Shape mixture into balls using 1 rounded tablespoon of turkey mixture. Place on baking sheet. You should have 24 meatballs. Bake in oven for 15 minutes until browned and cooked through.
4. To make sauce while the meatballs are baking: Coat a medium size pot with cooking spray. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 1 minute. Sir in pasta sauce and heat. When meatballs are ready, carefully add them to pasta sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. To make couscous: In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup couscous. Cover and let sit 5 minutes until all water is absorbed.
6. To Serve: Spoon in each bowl or plate ½ cup couscous. Top couscous with 4 meatballs and about ⅓ cup sauce. Sprinkle the top of each serving with 1 tablespoon feta cheese.
7. This dish freezes great. Pack in individual serving containers. Place couscous on the bottom. Top with meatballs, sauce and feta cheese.
Makes 6 servings (each serving, ½ cup couscous, 4 meatballs, about ⅓ cup sauce and 1 tablespoon feta cheese)
for 1 serving (4 meatball, ½ cup couscous, ⅓ cup sauce and 1 T feta cheese)
SmartPoints value : 8