1 cup cooked brown rice
1 pound extra lean ground beef (96%), see shopping tip
1 cup onions, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard (I used a spicy brown mustard)
1 tablespoon pickle relish
⅓ cup tomato sauce, can or jarred
3 tablespoons water
1 cup lite cheddar cheese, mozzarella or blend, shredded
4 large red bell peppers, yellow or orange (each about 3½ inches high and 3½ inches wide)
1. Cook rice and set aside. Cut off the top of 4 bell peppers about 1-inch down from top. Clean out seeds and membranes. Throw away the tops.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. In a large nonstick pan, brown ground beef and onions. Season beef with a little salt and pepper. Be sure to break up ground beef into small pieces as it cooks.
3. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, tomato sauce and 3 tablespoons water. Mix well. Stir in ¾ cup shredded cheese and cooked rice. Mix well and continue to cook until heated through. Add 1-2 more tablespoons of water, if getting a little dry. Remove from heat.
5. Stuff each bell pepper with ground beef mixture, top each stuffed pepper with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese. Place each in a 9-inch baking dish. Pour 1 cup water in bottom of baking dish. Cover dish with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. If peppers are not soft enough, cook about 5 minutes more.
6. Once cooked, cooled and wrapped, they freeze great!
Makes 4 servings. Each serving, 1 stuffed pepper
for 1 stuffed pepper
5g sat fat
SmartPoints value : 8