1 pound ground turkey breast or ground turkey, see healthy benefits
3 cups chopped onions
1 (18 oz) bottle of barbecue sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray’s or Bull’s-eye original)
1 cup (8 ounces) tomato sauce, from a jar or can
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
8 Oroweat Sandwich Thins, warmed or toasted or 8 hamburger buns, I used whole wheat buns
1. In a large pan or skillet, cook the ground turkey over medium-high heat, stirring often to break up the lumps until turkey is browned.
2. If using regular ground turkey, drain cooked turkey into a colander and blot with paper towels. Return drained turkey to pan. If using 99% fat-free turkey breast there isn’t any fat to drain. You can just blot it with paper towels.
3. Place onions in a microwave safe bowl and cook in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes until soft.
4. Add cooked onions to turkey. Stir in barbecue sauce, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. Stir a few times while simmering.
6. Spoon the turkey mixture onto each sandwich thin or bun. If you have any leftovers, this mixture freezes great.
Makes 8 sandwiches
for 1 Skinny Sloppy Joe using Oroweat Sandwich Thin
0g sat fat
SmartPoints value : 10