5 Questions/Answers about The SmartPoints Plan
1. A new formula: The SmartPoints system, based on the latest nutritional science, inspires healthy eating by making protein-rich foods a better value and foods higher in sugar and saturated fat more “expensive.”
2. Daily SmartPoints Target: You have a daily Target based on your height, weight, gender and age. You’ll get this Target online or in your meeting.
3. Weekly SmartPoints. You have Weekly SmartPoints, which are based on the same factors as your daily Target. Weekly SmartPoints add leeway to your plan. You can choose to use them or not!
4. FitPoints Activity Goal. You have a personalized FitPoints activity goal based on your preferences and lifestyle. FitPoints focuses on overall movement, not just formal “exercise.” Exercising as a means for earning more food points is discouraged.
5. Tracking. Tracking is still an integral part of this plan. You can use your online tools and your Mobile app (if you are a subscriber.)
Why change PointsPlus? It works!
While the PointsPlus formula went farther than calories to factor in different nutrients, like calories, it only focused on a food’s impact on your weight. With SmartPoints, you can not only pinpoint the choices that help you lose weight, but you shift to a healthier pattern of eating overall.
How does SmartPoints help you eat more healthfully?
Many studies have confirmed the benefits of eating less sugar and saturated fat and more protein. On the new plan, foods that are higher in sugar and/or saturated fat are higher in SmartPoints; foods higher in protein are lower in SmartPoints. You’re steered to healthier choices and away from the less healthy. The focus is on real, whole foods. Refined carbs, sugars and saturated fats got a whole lot more expensive.
But fruit has sugar; how can it still be 0 SmartPoints value?
Yes, there is naturally occurring sugar in fruit and vegetables, but because whole fruit is full of vitamins, minerals, and fiber, we want you to eat it. So, it stays zero. It’s now zero in recipes too!
Why focus on protein?
Protein helps you feel full, for starters. And this crucial nutrient helps repair tissues, maintain lean muscle, and aid hormone and income function. Lean meat and poultry, fish and plant-based proteins are great choices.
Which foods are changing?
You can probably guess what’s going up in points: fried foods, pastries, sugar sweetened beverages. But lean proteins that are lower in unhealthy fats, like chicken breast, tuna, and firm tofu, will be lower inSmartPoints. And about 40 percent of foods haven’t changed.